Occupy Medical Board Meeting Minutes

Occupy Medical Board Meeting

11/10/18

1717 Centennial Blvd. suite 7

5:30-8pm

Attendees:

President/Vice President – Donna Grant

Secretary – Debra Harrow (Sue Sierralupe temporarily assisting)

Treasurer – David Williams

At Large – Terra Williams, Sue Sierralupe, Jen McCall, Dr. Willy Foster, Pam Garrison, Brian Chastain, Connor Salisbury, Jesse Etter, Donna Riddle

Not in attendance: Connor Salisbury, Jesse Etter, Donna Riddle, David Williams

Visitors: Dr. Bruce Harrow, Wesley Force, Ernest Lessenger

Donna Grant – facilitator

Sue Sierralupe – note taker

 

Agenda for the Board:

Board Meeting notes – Sue moved that we approve last board meeting minutes. Donna seconded. All approved. No objections.

 

Financial Report – $56,881.21 ending balance. So far, we have been taking in about as many donations as we are spending. Sue passed around our bank statements for the the last 3 months. Dr. Willy and Sue discussed her concern about extra fundraising to cover unforeseen expenses. Debra pointed out that fundraising is an excellent focus for an Advisory Council to undertake.

 

Signature – Donna proposes that we place on the amount of $2,050 limit on checks. Any amount written over that amount would need 2 signatures. Dr. Willy seconded. All approved. No objections.

 

Grant writer – Jen proposes that we hire a grant writer as private contractor to pay for items we will need. Donna seconded. All approved. No objections.

 

Strengthens and weaknesses of building – Wesley was unhappy with how few patients due the change in location. Wesley suggested that we start by asking St. Vincent de Paul to offer one of their sprinter vans to move people from the 99 camp to our clinic and back. This could be an expanded to other areas.

Jen brought up the fact that we have only 1 door in suite 4. People cluster in areas around the bathroom and supply table. If there is an argument, it could become an larger problem. Appointments could help with that. Ernest was concerned about the bottleneck and agreed with Jen that we should reinforce the rule of no loitering so that all visitors get a chance to have access to supplies.

Debra noted that having 2 buildings with only one peacekeeper is a possible issue. We need more peacekeepers. So far we are relying on Connor and Charles. They are both highly effective but having an extra couple of peacekeepers will give them more wiggle room in their schedules so we don’t burn them out or, as the weather gets colder, freeze them.

Sue likes having the pouring room on site as treatment has better access to our supplies. Having a full stock means better access to formulas and when we run of an item, it is because we are completely out, not just out of the item at our site.

 

Goals and future plans – Driving income for fundraisers and grants. The dental van grant was approved. Ernest suggested we put the dental van in the West parking lot. We could arrange appointments.

 

Bus issue – Jen proposed that we get rid of the bus and replace it with a sprinter van. Debra seconded. All approved. No objections.

 

Number of patients – An average of 20-30 patients max. Jeanne is a new volunteer who is a medically certified Spanish interrupter. She wants to add a Spanish page to website. Let’s order new cards in both Spanish and English. We should have an Open House at 5pm on a weekday.

 

Donations – We keep track of food donations and monetary donations. The food donations are tracked on FFLC forms. The monetary donations are tracked  via bank deposit slips and a log that is kept in intake.

 

EHR – We already had a chance to review the Athena EHR contract. Ernest did the research for this by reviewing a range of options. The open source EMRs are free but you have to pay for hosting and maintenance. It isn’t integrated. Athena is our best option for integrated. SMS and email notifications. Integrations with labs and dot notes. Fully web enabled. Designed to work on a tablet with a keyboard. You can supplement with a text field or drop downs. They own Epocrates which is a drug interaction site. This is available for free for non profits that do not bill. The servers are Athenas. The data remains in the patient’s ownership.

The downside is that they push the health network. This why they have the charitable offer for us. Administrative overhead is going to require that we have policies in place for inter-clinic communication such as with White Bird, etc… It is up to us to follow US law. This is geared for clinics that are staffing less than 15 providers.

Wesley asked if we could get a grant for the hardware. Ernest thinks that if we were asking for used tablets, we could fairly easily get a grant for this. Ernest showed us a 5 minute demo.

Sue proposes that we assign a subgroup within the board that is empowered to make the decision on which whether we approve the Athena EHR.

Ernest will add the PowerPoint EHR.

 

Appointments – If we make appointments, we would need more providers. Brian suggested that we start by adding appointments with the wound care team. Sue suggested that intake and wound care get together to facilitate that pilot project. Pam agreed to bring this to her wound care team. She expressed concern about having enough nurses skilled in foot care and diabetic ulcer as that is the majority of our wounds.

 

Advisory Council – We need an Advisory Council and they need to be invited by letter. Fundraising, program development, legal issues, conflict resolution, Financial management, liaison for city council, medical advisor, university liaison … to name a few. The Advisory Council would convene twice a year.

Leave a Reply